Tuesday, August 6, 2013

BYU-Idaho Pathway Program


Please see below for a letter from our stake presidency regarding the BYU-Idaho Pathway Program. It's not too late to apply for this fall! The deadline is August 14.

What is the BYU-Idaho Pathway Program?

The BYU-I Pathway program is a partnership between BYU-Idaho and the Church's Institutes of Religion to provide members of the Church (anyone 18 and older) with a way to begin or complete their college education online at a significantly reduced cost by eliminating many of the barriers that may have kept them from completing their education until now. This process is fully accredited through BYU-Idaho, and people who complete degrees through this process are equivalent to those physically attending the university.

Over ninety members from nine local stakes have participated in the Pathway Program last year. Seventy-four participants are on their way to gaining a degree at BYU-I. Here is what one student had to say:
"BYU was a school I dreamed of attending but realized after some research, I wouldn't be able to go online without the 15 on campus hours. The Pathway program has literally been an answer to prayers I didn't realize I had in my heart. In the short time I have been attending I have felt a deeper conversion to the gospel. While, at times, the classes can seem challenging, I never feel like I can't do it. I know that this is the Lord's university and His hand is in all that we learn here. It's a wonderful feeling to gain a testimony of the importance of continuing my education through the Pathway program. Attending BYU-I gives me the strength to easily learn things that were difficult in the past to learn. Our Heavenly Father has a plan in all of this and I'm so happy to be a part of His plan. This program has blessed my family and me in many ways. The Pathway program is such a great opportunity!" 

Who Can Participate?

Members can enroll into BYU-Idaho through a program called Academic Start without a high school diploma or GED, without SAT/ACT scores, and without an ecclesiastical endorsement. Academic Start is a one-year course of study (5 units each trimester) comprised of Institute and academic coursework. At the end of Academic Start students will have completed 15 transferrable units of college credits that they can apply towards a certificate, an Associate's Degree or a Bachelor's Degree at BYU-Idaho. Students can become fully matriculated (that is, officially enrolled/accepted as a student) into BYU-Idaho by:

  1. Maintaining a "B" average while participating in Academic Start
  2. Obtaining an ecclesiastical endorsement
  3. Demonstrating Disciple Leadership qualities
By the way, no time on campus is required and there are no registration fees. The cost per unit of instruction is $65. After successfully completing Academic Start, fully matriculated students may continue their educational pursuits online at the reduced tuition rate.

How Does It Work?

Academic Start requires attendance in a once-a-week gathering at one of three Allen Stake ward buildings, where students discuss the subjects they are learning. A church-service missionary couple facilitates the Pathway gathering. Students get help by interacting online with instructors, other students in their local Pathway group, other students in their online group, and tutors who are available free of charge.

How Do I Qualify?

Students must commit to live by the BYU-Idaho Honor Code. Students will also need a computer with daily access to the internet. English proficiency is also required. (Students may be asked to take an English proficiency test to determine if their English skills are sufficient to support their academic efforts.)

How Do I Get Started?

The first trimester will begin on September 16, 2013, with the first gathering on September 19. BYU-Idaho will begin processing applications at the end of May. The last day to apply is August 14, 2013. The following link to the BYU-Idaho Pathway website will take you to a short video animation with additional information about the program:

BYU-Idaho Pathway Program

If you are interested in knowing more about BYU-I Pathway, please complete the Pathway Interest Survey by clicking on the following link:

Pathway Interest Survey

This will ensure that you receive all future communications regarding the program, such as the time, date and location for the Pathway Fireside that will be held in May or early June. You will also get a personal follow up call from Elder and Sister Williams or Elder and Sister Shepard, our two missionary couples responsible for the admissions and registration process.

If you are a member of Facebook this next link will take you to the BYUI Allen and Surrounding Stakes Facebook page where Pathway participants may communicate with one another. The Pathway Interest Survey can also be accessed from the Facebook page.

BYU-I Allen

Please feel free to contact Elder or Sister Williams or Elder or Sister Shepard directly if you have any questions about this inspired program.

Elder Williams
214-244-1850
melwwilliams@gmail.com

Elder Shepard
972-369-6947
gshepard6@gmail.com

Sister Williams
469-734-5474
williams.jan50@yahoo.com

Sister Shepard
972-369-6497
chrisshepard12@live.com

As your Stake Presidency, we encourage you to prayerfully consider this opportunity to earn your college degree or a certificate. We recommend the following counsel given by President Gordon B. Hinckley:

"Take advantage of the experience and learning of those who have gone before you in whatever field you choose. Education is a shortcut to proficiency. It makes it possible to leapfrog over the mistakes of the past. Regardless of the vocation you choose, you can speed your journey in getting there through education."
(Conference Report, October 1981)


Sincerely,

Stuart B. Alleman, President

Richard S. Dotter, 1st counselor

Bryan Tolbert, 2nd counselor

No comments:

Post a Comment