Thursday, May 16, 2013

Getting to Know You!



How well do you know Sylvia Garcia?



The Facts

  • She was born and raised in Chihuahua, Mexico, the second child in a large family; she has six brothers and six sisters! The family operated a farm, and Sylvia remembers it fondly.
  • She was “a very happy girl” growing up. She had a wonderful mother and father and cherishes the memory of playing dolls with her mother. She also enjoyed playing basketball.
  • Her father was in a car accident and couldn’t work very well. Sylvia found a way to help by coming to the US to work and earn money for her family in Mexico. She lived with an American family for five years in San Jose, CA.
  • When she was 24, Sylvia met the man who would become her husband when her American family arranged a gathering to introduce her to another girl from Chihuahua. Michael and Sylvia had their first date at a nice Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Forty years later, they are still dating and enjoying adventures together!
  • Sylvia has two sons: Michael (also in our ward) and Johnny, who lives in California.
  • Sylvia managed a daycare service for 25 years in California, which allowed her to be present for her boys as they were growing up. She says that she didn’t want them to be alone after school and get into mischief with friends! She currently works at the Montessori School in Prosper.
  • Sylvia loves to work in the garden, especially whenever flowers are involved. Some of her favorites are gardenias, hydrangea, and several varieties of roses. She used to have a big garden and would get up early to tend to it. She also enjoyed having birdhouses in her garden and watching the birds.
  • She enjoys crocheting and making baby blankets.
  • She loves to bake pumpkin bread and carrot cake. She also loves to cook and people rave about her roast!


In Her Own Words

What is your favorite thing about summer?

"The flowers. I don't really like the hot days. I like it here because of the people and not the weather."

What is your favorite dessert?  

"I like ice cream, but I feel bad after eating it. I love fruit with cream. That's one of my favorites. I really like making desserts, but not really eating them."

What is your warmest birthday memory?  

"When I was 16, my boyfriend asked my dad permission for a date. I remember we had a great time, and we danced from 9 PM to 7 AM!"

What is your favorite book?  

"100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez."




No comments:

Post a Comment